Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's really important

Probably the most important concept I acquired from Covey's book is his take on priorities.  Habits 2 and 3 had the biggest influence on me out of all 7.  Habit 2 ("begin with the end in mind") discussed the overall values we have in our lives, and making decisions based on those things.  When I look down the road 50 years, I know for a fact that the relationships I formed throughout my life will be more important than the test grade I made in music history when I was in college.  But I don't always spend my time building those relationships.  Now, I do place a lot of importance on my school work.  I always have, and I want to continue to succeed.  It goes deeper than wanting to make good grades; I am preparing to go into music ministry, and I genuinely want to be the very best that I can be.  I feel like it is a calling rather than a job, and I want to do it with excellence.  So, I really do place importance on that aspect of my life right now.  I do need to remember, however, that, as Covey said, "people are more important than things."  To that, you might say, "Duh, of course they are."  But it is easy for me to schedule out my entire day with absolutely no time for people.  And when I say schedule, it's intense.  We're talking scheduling out every meal, every assignment, every little job I have to get done, every minute of the day.  Last semester, I didn't allow any time to just be there if someone needed to talk, or to just sit there and decide spontaneously what I would do next.  Here's my solution... I still have to schedule out a large portion of my day, or I will get nothing done.  I am in college, which means I have a schedule of classes.  I also have to plan when to do certain things or I just won't get around to them.  But my goal is to leave some time in there when I don't have anything planned.  When that time comes, I can use it for whatever feels right at the time.  If I'm feeling productive, I can use it to do some work.  If I need a break, I can use it to relax for a minute, talk to a friend, or do something I enjoy.  If something comes up that needs addressing, I will have time to genuinely help someone or be there to talk. 
So, in a sense, I am going to try to schedule some unscheduled time, as paradoxical as that is.  We'll see how it works out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment