Thursday, January 27, 2011

Taking Initiative

The first assignment I have is to comment on a book I read over January: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.  I really liked the book, and I got alot out of it.  Hopefully, I'll be able to apply it both now and later on in life.  The first habits is to "be proactive," and one of the first things Covey talks about is taking the initiative for our own lives.  He says that we should approach things "inside-out," examining our own motives and actions.  This really spoke to me because I often blame my mood or my circumstances on other things.  I feel stressed b/c of all my school work, or I feel this way b/c this person hurt my feelings; when in reality, I am the one who controls my life.  If there is a problem, I should look at what I can do about it.  If there is a need, I should look at how I can fulfil it.  I can rise above my circumstances and be the kind of person that I want to be.  Don't get me wrong... I am, in general, a very happy person.  I usually have a smile on my face and I like to wear yellow, and I really feel blessed to have such a wonderful life.  But I can choose to use that happiness to help others, to lift their spirits, and to solve my problems myself.  I don't have to let a busy day make me feel stressed out, because I can take the initiative to manage my time, take some time for myself, and realize that everything I have to do is making me into the person I will become.  I don't have to let someone else with a grumpy look on their face ruin my day, but instead try to lift their spirits with a smile.  It all comes down to the choices I make, and the initiative I have to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment